Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Working Out & Stash Ideas

We've been doing good working out at the gym. It all started when the rain kept us from our walks. What we've learned is that the treadmill gives us a much better workout than we were getting walking at the local parks. After a couple of months at the park we were walking the whole place and then getting creative by circling back and around the block to get more of a walk. Of course the walks were good to get us started and they helped us get a routine, but now we are going to the gym daily and working out on the treadmill for an hour.

Then today at the gym we saw a poster about getting sessions with a personal trainer. It's a good idea because one reason I don't want to use the other machines is because I don't know how to use them properly and I don't want to hurt myself. The other reason is I don't want to look stupid.
So I think I will be doing that in the next couple of weeks. It is only 3 sessions, but I will learn everything in the place and that is worth a lot.

Stash Stuff!
While going through my green & light fabrics for my class next week I came up with an idea of about my fabric stash. I am making stacks - 1/2 yd, 1yd, 1 1/2yds, 2yds, 4yds, 5yds. This will make it easier to find the right amount of fabric when I 'shop' my stash.
Until now I had everything in order by color, but then I had to dig through each color section looking for the right amount for what I needed. Then if I found something I would have to get it out and measure it to make sure it was enough.
What I did is this: If I have less than 1/2 yard I cut it into the strips I need to the class. Or more than 1/2 yard, but less than a yard, I cut it down to 1/2 yard and cut the extra into strips. Same with the other measurements. Or if it is a fabric that I just want out of my stash, I cut it up.

Well, I had this idea to do that with all my fabric. I can cut any extra stuff of other colors into 2 1/2" strips (the most usable size; or into several different sizes) and then put everything back by size - not color.
This will be great for me this year because I am going to try not to buy much fabric in 2011. I say 'try' and 'much' because there is some really cute fabric out there and I will probably have to get a little bit of; probably next week. And if there is something I want to make and I don't have the right stuff in my stash I might need to buy something.

Also, as I put the fabric back on the shelves I will be able to take a count of just how many yards of fabric I actually have.

SCARY - I know, but it is time for me to get a grip.

Then when I shop my stash I can feel good about using up what I have.
Kinda like how I feel when I burn calories!
My body and my stash will be slimmer by 2012.

Back to the stash!

No comments:

Post a Comment